[MLB-WIRELESS] Free Space Optics Info

Todd Hubers todd.hubers at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 15:20:13 AEDT 2015

Thanks Nick, that's a fantastic real-world description, which can help me
and others better understand FSO.

I am wondering whether FSO TX and RX beams can be made much fatter -
equivalent to having a satellite dish for RF systems (ie. a concave
mirror). I have read that optics are a significant cost component of FSO.
By dispersing the beam more, spiders, heavy rain and movement at least
should be reduced factors. Also an increased overall beam power should be
possible without compromising and eye safety is no compromised, possibly
helping to overcome fog and possibly condensation without header: the same
intensity (per mm of diameter) of the beam can be maintained, but with a
bigger beam a high power light will transmit overall. Fog: I think fog is a
considerable challenge in temperate climates such as Geelong/Melbourne. But
it's no like we're researchers or manufacturers of FSO links, so we're not
about to test such potential solutions.

1. I was wondering why short links had problems - seems like there are
minimum power outputs of TX. Perhaps a physical shade (like sunglasses)
could help for short links?
2. How does an FSO link compare in cost to an RF one?

For super short distance 10Gb, it's probably more economical to just haul
> the fibre.

Not for multi-user. See ournet.alivate.com.au - I'm thinking of a mesh
network with no long backhaul. Links are both last-mile and backhaul.

Todd