[MLB-WIRELESS] Free Space Optics Info

Todd Hubers todd.hubers at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 12:22:45 AEDT 2015

> I wouldnt be surprised if even further was possible with a pair of
> Ubiquitiy AirFiber

I was told, that although Ubiquity AirFiber is rated to go quite far and
fast, that's with higher transmission power, in Australia it is not
generally allowed that high unlicensed. With the lower power level it
practically tops out at 10km. Still, it seems that RF is still the best for
longer distances to date. The main benefit I see for FSO is zero
interference, which is great for Medium Distance (1-2km). It apparently
works from 100m (sometimes 50m), for for some reason, short links are
generally not the configuration of such FSO products.

Chained links of 2km to cover big distances may be desirable, but with
unknown equipment costs, if RF links are just as good and cheaper or as
much, RF would be the clear winner. I would love to evaluate an FSO link.
It would be great to find the right product for the right application. It
could make for great PR (attracting more members) for the group to announce
such a link.

--
Regards,

Todd Hubers