[MLB-WIRELESS] Problems at work

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Sun Aug 14 00:45:37 EST 2005

At 07:59 PM 8/13/2005, kevin wrote:

>Don't know if this is the right place to ask but at work I have recently
>been instructed to not wardrive at all and to cease all connections with
>anyone who does wardrive

Well, my understanding is that simply scanning for open networks and taking
a log is not illegal.  It's a bit like using a radio scanner.

Now, if you break WEP with the intention of unauthorised access to a
network, that IS breaking the law.  Using an unencrypted network is in the
grey area, but probably a bit sus if you don't have permission.

If you configure your system to scan only, and take precautions (e.g. in
Windows, unbinding TCP/IP from the wireless NIC) to ensure you don't/can't
connect to networks unintentionally, then I don't see a legal issue.  Of
course, IANAL, but I would be very surprised if this aspect was illegal.

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com