[MLB-WIRELESS] Problems at work

Gary Winder g.winder at exemail.com.au
Sat Aug 13 21:33:10 EST 2005

You have better leave Melbourne wireless then ;)

 I do not believe that the mere reception of someone elses signal is
illegal. If so, I could set up an AP in my house that covers your house and
that would mean that you are commiting a crime.

If you try and find only and not connect, then I do not believe that is
illegal. How are you supposed to fing out how far your own equipment
reaches? Or go looking for Melbourne wireless nodes unless you scan? If you
scan for your node and get someone elses then you know that you have
information that can help you make a better service, ie change channel, etc.

 If you find someone elses signal and you try and connect, yes I believe
that is illegal. However I still question how illegal it is in the days of
security being in every manual with every product out in the market. If
someone setups up an AP with no security at all, and give out DHCP addresses
etc, I would almost regard that as either a very stupid person or as
permission to use. Unfortunatley I think the former is more the case as
being stupid is not a crime I believe.

 However if someone has any form of security enabled, then cracking it and
connecting and using the service I believe would easily be seen as illegal
as you have taken active steps to get a connection.

 I think your customer is being stupid, almost like if you personally stop
wardriving or talking to people who do, then their network is magicly made
safe for ever.

Regards,
g at z.