[MLB-WIRELESS] Symphony != 802.11b compliant? : [was: [TIB] A new offer has been added to TIB - 15/10/2002]

Michael Weinbergs michael at online-admin.net.au
Wed Oct 16 08:54:29 EST 2002

802.11b Compliant??!! Can someone please confirm this for me!!?!
I bought mine via Grey's Auction the other week and have run up two of them
perfectly (PCI in Server and PCMCIA in notebook). They are working fine -
but my enterasys cards will not talk to them... I was under the impression
that the 4110 cards use a symphony proprietary platform not 802.11b?!

I would love it if my Symphony cards would talk to my enterasys cards - even
at 1.6Mb!! (the PCI card is the only one I can get to work with Win2KAS!)
but I believe that only the "Proxim Harmony" series of adapters support
802.11b (and they don't seem to be backward compatible to the Symphony kit
either!)
Is there a code upgrade or something to get them to do this?! I know that
the PCI card has the "Hermes" PLX chips on it (don't these just drive the
pci bus?) - but do they really also support 802.11b?

BTW: The link for these drivers (I used it to install with) is
http://www.proxim.com/support/all/symphonyoa/products/4110.html