[MLB-WIRELESS] What's Cooking?

Steve Wright paua at quicksilver.net.nz
Sat Oct 12 18:00:53 EST 2002

auroria wrote:

>i was thinking the sus bit was the ramping up of power to deal with increased demand.
>that doesn't make sence..  increase bandwidth not power.

A linear spread-spectrum transmitter output stage has a fixed power
output, but it's perfectly feasible to mix in more SS streams (one RF
carrier can carry a large number of SS 'CDMA' transmissions.)

However, you don't get the free lunch - the output power will be shared
among all connections.

>  doesn't more power reduce
>the width of a beam and make it harder to hit the target dish on the 'other side' ?

nope.  the only thing that causes a narrower beamwidth, is an antenna
with a narrower beamwidth.  (think - narrower funnel, or more
concentrated jet of water, as opposed to a shower rose which would be a
sector antenna...)  Also "higher gain" does not mean "narrower beamwidth."

I heard a similar microwave burn story years ago, about a navy
technician who climbed the tower but forgot to lock the ships' radar
out.  Now these radars are going to be 50+KW.. into 20dB.. approx 5MW
EIRP.  Apparantly, he got 'flashed' several times before he threw
himself clear, but still ended up with very severe red spots all over
him (he was behind something with 3 inch holes in it..)

The bottom line is, you won't hurt yourself with 4W EIRP.  It's not
gonna happen.  But if you see some clown experimenting with a microwave
oven and a dish, please do him, yourself and everyone else a favour, and
hit the magnetron with a hammer before he silently kills some poor prick
across the street.

/sw